India has suffered a major setback in boxing. Veteran boxer Mary Kom lost to Colombia’s Victoria Ingrit Valencia in the pre-quarterfinals of the 51 kg weight category. Colombian boxer beat Indian boxer 3-2. In the first round, 4 out of 5 judges ruled in favor of Valencia. That was the turning point of the match. Mary Kom had to face defeat due to this edge. After this, Mary Kom won the remaining two rounds, but she could not cover the total points given to Valencia.
See Here: Trending Songs
38-year-old Mary Kom had earlier defeated 32-year-old Valencia twice. When the referee raised Valencia’s hand at the end of the match, Mary Kom had tears in her eyes. After this the Colombian boxer hugged Mary Kom and consoled her. Mary Kom’s dream of winning Olympic gold was also shattered. Prior to this, she had won a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
- In the first round, 4 out of 5 judges gave Valencia 10-10 points. And a judge gave 9 points. While Mary Kom was given 9 points by 4 judges and 10 points by one judge.
- The 38-year-old MaryKom made a tremendous comeback after losing the first round and won the remaining two rounds.
- In the second round, Valencia was awarded 10-10 points by 2 out of 5 judges. While 3 judges gave 9-9 points. Mary Kom got 10-10 points from 3 judges and 9-9 points from 2 judges.
- The third round was also in the name of MaryKom. He was given 10-10 points by 3 judges. At the same time, 2 judges gave 9-9 points. Valencia was given 10-10 points by 2 judges. While he got 9-9 points from 3 judges.
- The Indian boxer used the right hook very well in the second and third rounds.
- After a total of three rounds, Valencia won by 3 out of 5 judges’ points. Only 2 judges decided in favor of MaryKom.
Mary Kom Can Now Retire From Boxing
Mary Kom’s dream of winning a medal at the Tokyo Olympics did not come true. She is a record 6 time world champion. When she entered the ring on Thursday, she had the weight of the hopes of crores of Indians on her shoulders. Earlier, by winning 2 matches, she also lived up to these expectations. But had to face defeat in the pre-quarterfinals.
Read Here: Latest Sports News
Mary Kom can now retire from boxing if she does not win a medal in the Olympics. He won the bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics. Valencia was the bronze medalist of the 2016 Rio Olympics. Mary Kom has defeated Valencia in the quarter-finals of the 2019 World Championship. This was the Colombian boxer’s first win over MaryKom.
India Can Win 3 Medals in Boxing
Apart from MaryKom, India can get 3 medals in boxing. Three Indian boxers have made it to the quarterfinals. These include Lovlina Borgohain, Pooja Rani and Satish Kumar. If these three are successful in winning their next match, then India will be assured of three medals in boxing.