IPL Auction LIVE: South Africa all-rounder Chris Morris has become the most expensive player of the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction by far. He was bought by Rajasthan Royals for 16.25 crores. He broke Yuvraj’s record, which was bought by Delhi for the 2015 season for Rs 16 crore.
This auction is going on in Chennai. So far, 31 players have been auctioned for the 14th season. 14 of them are foreigners. A total of 61 slots were empty. For this, 292 players were shortlisted.
Read Here: Latest Sports News
Shocking 7 names, Shahrukh bought by Preity’s team at 26 times price
- Bowling all-rounder Krishnappa Gautam had a base prize of Rs 20 lakh. He was bought by CSK for 46 times more for 9.25 crores. He holds the record for the most expensive uncapped player in IPL history so far. Uncapped means players who have not played international matches for their country till now. Gautam broke the record of Krunal Pandya in the case of Uncapped Players. Krunal was bought by Mumbai for 8.8 crores. CSK needed an off-spin all-rounder. Now Gautam will fill this gap.
- Base price of South African player Chris Morris was Rs 75 lakh. They sold 21 times more than this for Rs 16.25 crore.
- New Zealand all-rounder Kyle Jameson was bought by Bengaluru for 20 times more than Rs 15 crore. His base prize was 75 lakh rupees. He took 54 wickets in overall 38 T20s and scored 190 runs. He bowls at a speed of 140 and also strengthens the middle order.
Read Here: Latest Technical Updates
- Australian all-rounder Glenn Maxwell had a base prize of Rs 2 crore. They were bought by RCB for 14.25 crores at a price of 7 times more.
- Australian bowler Zhai Richardson was bought by Punjab Kings for Rs 14 crore. His base prize was 1.50 crores. They sold at 9 times the price. Punjab needed pacer in the Death Overs along with Mohammed Shami. Richardson will fill this shortcoming.
- Indian young all-rounder Shahrukh Khan had a base prize of Rs 20 lakh. Preity Zinta’s team Punjab bought them for Rs 5.25 crore at 26 times the price. He has taken 2 wickets in 31 domestic T20s and scored 293 runs so far. IPL Auction Live
- Riley Meredith of Australia, who took 43 wickets after playing 34 matches in the league and domestic T20, had a base prize of Rs 40 lakh. Punjab bought them for 8 times rupees at a price of 20 times more.
2 All Rounders with Teams Placing Their Biggest Bets
The Reason for Morris’s Expensive Sale
- Morris has played a total of 218 T20s including League, Domestic and International. In this, he has scored 1764 runs at a strike rate of 151.02. He has also taken 270 wickets.
- So far in the IPL, he has scored 551 runs in 70 matches. Has taken 80 wickets. His strike rate in batting is 157.87 better than Maxwell. RCB was released by Morris. In 2020, he scored 25 runs in 8 balls at a strike rate of 313 for RCB in a match.
- Rajasthan needed backup of fast bowling all-rounder Jofra Archer so that if they do not play, a strong player can take their place. Morris fit this requirement, as he is an all-rounder and finisher.
Maxwell’s Reason for Selling Expensive
- Maxwell has played a total of 301 T20s including League, Domestic and International. In this, he has scored 6581 runs at a 152.05 strike rate. Has scored 331 sixes and 529 fours. Has taken 108 wickets.
- Maxwell also has a good record in IPL. He has scored 1505 runs in 82 IPL matches. The strike rate is 154.67. This includes 91 sixes and 118 fours. Maxwell was released by Punjab.
- RCB wanted Chris Morris and Moin Ali to be an all-rounder in the middle order after the release. In the middle order, the weight of batting was coming on de Villiers. Maxwell will now be able to reduce his load.